(My thanks to Uncle Henry for scanning a ton of old photos and putting them on a CD several years ago, because I just realized I don’t have any good digital photos of my mom. I do, however, have a ton of pictures of the back of her head, or her shoulder, or her left earlobe. She’s really good at ducking cameras.)
To the marvelous lady who:
- Taught me to walk properly in high heels (and that only trashy girls walk on their toes while in heels).
- Tried to teach me to dance (epic fail, by the way).
- Nearly got into a fistfight defending my honor during a middle school football game.
- Let me wear the abovepictured dress as a Halloween costume.
- Gives the world’s greatest back rubs.
- Escaped a dysfunctional, abusive family, and as a result, never once spanked, slapped, or otherwise corporally punished me.
- Brought me up to love animals, children, and Frosted Mini Wheats.
- And a million other things, every day.